Re: Security

Tue, 25 Nov 1997 15:16:40 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Robert Hsiung wrote:
> What about a more sophisticated snoop who got access to the routers (or
> whatever, you know, the hardware behind the scenes) and stole your packets
> (or whatever it is that CUSM breaks audio and visual information down into)?

a packet sniffer?
Well..if you want to get technical..that's always possible. The typical
user isn't gonna have the keys to the routers (unless you connect to the
reflector and the reflector operator maintains the router to the
reflector..in which case it's much easier just to send a BCC of the
reflector to monitor off to another reflector).

There's always packet sniffers..but I imagine the percentage of people
that use packet sniffers actively is much less than 1% of the internet
population. Even if you do sniff packets, you have to know what type of
data the packets are. That would mean having to rewrite CU to display
real time video/audio based on the sniffed packets.

I'm no expert though..I could be way off on that last part. I don't know
of anyone that's used a packet sniffer to actively display video. I know
Brian Godette has used a sniffer to hack away and find out details of the
White Pine client and how it interacts witb the reflector. As far as
displaying video from it, that's what linking reflectors is for :)