FW: Security

mvana@earthlink.net ("mvana@earthlink.net")
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 21:48:20 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: mvana@earthlink.net [SMTP:mvana@earthlink.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 1997 5:37 PM
To: 'augusto@iqm.unicamp.br'
Subject: RE: Security

Actually, the Cornell version of CU allows a person to dial in to an =
already existing conference and "spy" on the conference member called. =
Happened to us in one of our early experiences with CU. Someone dialed =
us back while we were connected with another party and was able to see, =
hear and read chat originating from our computer without us being aware. =
He was very surprised to have been able to do this, and several =
experiments verified that the same glich could be recreated on several =
different machines/connections. As most of the test subjects had =
permanent IP addresses the were extremely dismayed. We soon after =
purchased the WP version.
Mike=20