Re: Security

Thu, 27 Nov 1997 14:13:54 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Eric Ochoa [NOL Staff] wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Robert Hsiung wrote:
>
> > Oh, so routers are computers, too, not just gadgets that send traffic this
> > way and that...
>
> That's loosely accurate, a computer such as NT or *nix can be configured
> to route packets.. but most other routers like Ascend products and Cisco
> can be telnetted to for remote configuration

Even so...Ascend and Cisco products are still computers. :)
com-put-er \kem-'py:ut-er\ n, often attrib
(1646)
:one that computes; specif
:a programmable electronic device that can store, retrieve, and process
data

> > >CU-SeeMe doesn't use PGP-encrypted data...
> >
> > So doing so would be possible? That sounds like it would increase the level
> > of security...
>
> Actually that sounds rather rediculous to me.

There's a PGP-encrypted audio conferencing program out there I believe.
It just seems like it would require a powerful computer to do it in real
time. Encode data from the audio codec..then encode it again with PGP.

> If you mean IP to IP you are still going across the internet, otherwise
> you would have to establish some sort of TCP/IP connection point to point
> via modem (PPTP/VPN).

I've heard ways to setup the winsock to dial another individual..setup an
IP in the host file for both IP addresses in both computers. And you
should be able to dial just that one IP. Modem to Modem with the overhead
of TCP/IP. If you do POTS conferencing though, there's better solutions
than TCP/IP.

> They don't need anything really.. although the source/destination IP's
> help, it all depends on whether or not the traffic is floating across the
> network they are sniffing.

They would need to know the source/destination IPs to know if they CAN
sniff for a particular person I would think.