Re: color bandwidth

Ben H. Millard (bmillard@interaccess.com)
Mon, 10 Oct 1994 16:13:47 -0400

On Mon, 10 Oct 1994, M. Carleer wrote:
> As Dick mentioned, most of today's digitizing cards use the YUV encoding
> scheme (except of course for the ones that do real time compression), and
> because they all use the same integrated circuit chipset developped by
> Philips for TV use, they already transmit color info only every 4 pixels on
> each row.

This (and what I've read in the CU-SeeMe manual) sounds a lot like MPEG &
MPEG II. At a SMPTE conference, there was a "mildly" stunning presentation
by a gentleman named Huffman (!) about wavelet compression. Any
commercial products using this scheme?

Ben H. Millard bmillard@interaccess.com |When 24 frames use
Chief Projectionist |SIX FEET of 70mm, you need
Museum of Science & Industry, Chicago |a rather large clips bin!
| Any opinions expressed are my own. |