RE: RFD: comp.multimedia.cu-seeme.{misc,announce}

Collins,Richard;ContStd; (RCOLLINS@leif.ucs.mun.ca)
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 21:33:15 -0400

On Wed, 12 Oct 1994, LUTCHI WWW Group wrote:

> At 12:07 pm 12/10/94 +0100, Chris Hand wrote:
>
> [lots of interesting thigs]
> >
> >Trying to pretend that CUSeeMe doesn't exist is just silly. It's public
> >domain. Pandora's box has been opened. Now we have to educate people
> >about using networks responsibly, rather than trying to maintain some
> >sort of exclusive elite. IMHO. :-)
>
> agreed.
>
> Just one thought amongst many: - as and when Windows (via Chicago), Apple
> Macs and commercial routers come with Multicast support (not too far off);
> and CU-SeeMe is further developed to take advantage of this, presumably
> this whole issue will merge into concerns of the MBONE community as a
> whole, but with the additional headache of having a far wider potential
> user base.
>
> Chris may well be right to suggest that it could be an interface issue -
> although the MBONE community has session managers etc, rogue users have
> been known to cause chaos. Even so I would argue that guidance and
> 'education' rather than coercion must really be the best alternative. I
> suppose the root of the problem is that in the Internet you don't always
> get what you pay for - there is no way to buy your own bandwidth and have
> it guaranteed...
>
> The way forward is rather foggy...(a bit like today in the UK!)
>
> Ben
> On behalf of:
>
> The World Wide Web Group at the LUTCHI Research Centre, LUT, UK.

> Email courtesy of Eudora.

My personal view sits on the side of education with possible banishment
as threatened by the overall INTERNET icons.

That example is a good reminder that the success of this dusty road we
call a "highway" managed to exist not because of thousands of rules and
hardware traps but because realized (for the most part) that it only
worked if we made our own contributions.

The kinds of restrictions we may find ourselves discussing are the
property of utilities and entertainment enterprises that want to take
this ride away from us.