Re: comp.multimedia.cu-seeme.*

Borre Ludvigsen (borrel@hiof.no)
Thu, 13 Oct 1994 14:07:47 -0400

On Thu, 13 Oct 1994 msattler@jungle.com wrote:

> Borre, I have to disagree with a basic assumption your plea is based on,
> that is, if we say nothing the masses won't notice us. I understand that
> you're far away from the States, but in the last two months in the USA
> CU-SeeMe has recieved extensive press coverage in the popular media, print
> and television.

My goodness - your assumption is wrong. All I'm saying is please think
twice about making a newsgroup. I myself have several WWW pages on
CU-SeeMe, I have exposed it widely in national and professional press in
Norway. I don't hesitate to mention it in lectures, both in this country
and abroad. (I discussed it extensively at WWW94 in Geneva.) But I don't
see any pressure to establish a newsgroup. My reasoning is that those
with the knowledge and patience to find the right ftp sight, WWW site,
FAQ and listserver it would be reasonable to presume, also are
knowledgable enough to "be kind to the net" and will use CU in manners
that contribute to ........

On the other hand those "fly by nighters" there just to play around would
be just that and fade away as fast as they came out of disgust with the
bad quality. Those who want to use it intensively, would be forced to
choose between low quality or to upgrade the dim patches of the net
between themselves and their correspondents.

What the heck, let's give it a try .... trying to compose this mail on a
remote login running alongside CU on a narrow line is killing me anyway...:-)

Final thought: do you want to crosspost this discussion on a USENET group
to the rem-conf and mbone lists and collect some experience before going
any further? How do the people at Cornell feel about the newsgroup idea (or
have I missed a mail)? In which case, my apologies.

- Barre