Re: RFD...

julia shaffner (Julia.Shaffner@SURFnet.nl)
Fri, 14 Oct 1994 09:10:50 -0400

John Erickson writes:

> Given the recent discussion, in particular *today's* discussion about the
> appropriateness of consuming net bandwidth with a new newsgroup, perhaps
> there should be a new Listcussion (no typo) for *talk*...
>
> I'm referring to the fact that suddenly we have changed from a "how do I..."
> or "how does it..." list to *philosophy*. YUCK...I've been learning a lot
> from the technical side, but if it keeps up I'll have to UNSUBSCRIBE and get
> my info from 'announce' and Borre's Web page...

i, for one, feel the recent discussions of network bandwidth and
whether to start a new newsgroup (or newsgroups) are quite important
to the cu-seeme community. if these discussions don't belong on
this list, where *do* they belong? i'm sorry that John feels so
offended by the intrusion of social issues into our technological
haven, but i trust that with the appropriate use of subject lines
we'll all be able to delete those threads we prefer not to read.
i happen to find it quite encouraging to see technical people
taking responsibility for the impacts of new products on the wider
world.

-julia shaffner (shaffner@surfnet.nl)