Re: Name for proposed cu-seeme newsgroups

Borre Ludvigsen (borrel@hiof.no)
Mon, 17 Oct 1994 11:21:28 -0400

On Mon, 17 Oct 1994, Douglas Ellmore wrote:

> Though the issue of opening up CU-SeeMe to the masses may not excite the
> CU-SeeMe crowd that want's to keep the technology a secret, I believe if
> there were some interoperability with commercial systems, it would both
> further the cause for educational interactivity outside the school in the
> already established world-wide business and university environments, and
> the cause for low-cost desktop video conferencing.

No one wants to "keep the technology a secret". Articles in TIME
Magazine are not particularly secret. I am simply concerned that we
should consider the potential for damage to the Internet at present
points of bandwidth bottleneck. There certainly was a high-level
contribution on just that point over the weekend from EUnet. No one is
at odds about the potential, we will ourselves be "advertizing" a
global broacast and teleconference for next week. Only, it would be
advisable that a _possible_ jump in the frequency of use were to occur
at a point in time where the net was able to carry it and where
increased bandwidth was pending.

- Barre

Barre Ludvigsen - Ostfold Regional College- N-1750 HALDEN - Norway
vox:+4769185400/home+4769341922/direct+4769185577ext219fax:+4769185485
<A HREF="http://www.ludvigsen.hiof.no/"> Come and visit! </A>