Re: Re[2]: a proposal [?] - STOP!!!!!!!

Howard Tweddle (crompton@WorldLink.ca)
Sun, 1 Oct 1995 00:27:29 -0400

FOLKS, COULDN'T YOU TAKE THIS BLOSSOMING DISCUSSION ABOUT SUBJECT LINE
CONVENTIONS TO SOME OTHER SIG SO THE REST OF US CAN CONCENTRATE ON CU-SEEME?
ALL THIS STUFF ABOUT MAIL CONVENTIONS THAT NOBODY'S GOING TO FOLLOW IS JUST
WASTING BANDWIDTH.
(THANKS FOR LISTENING).

>Tom Creedon <creedont@ohsu.edu> writes:
>
>> I'm getting about 30 or so messages a day from the various CU-SeeMe
>> lists. I would like to be able to identify in the subject line to
>> which platforms the messages are related. For example...
>>
>> This is a message about CU-SeeMe on the Macintosh [M]
>>
>> This is a message about CU-SeeMe on Windows [W]
>>
>> This is a message about CU-SeeMe on Unix [U]
>>
>> This is a general message. [?]
>
>I would suggest the following:
>
>First, PREPEND the identifier, so that it's not cut off in long subject lines.
>Ex:
>
> Subj: [M] Why can't my PowerMacintosh 7500 do video out to the network?
>
>Second, I think that the [?] identifier should be reserved for questions for
>which the poster needs an answer directly, rather than for discussion.
Perhaps
>we could use [*] for general messages. Perhaps even use [!] for CU-SeeMe
>net.fun.stories.
>
>Other than that, this seems to be a great convention, and I'll certainly start
>using it.

Crompton Consulting Jewellers +1(613)839-1617 for all your jewellery needs!
********* crompton@worldlink.ca **********