Re: Adult Content

S.Bonner@ukerna.ac.uk
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 11:41:45 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 3 Oct 1995, Juanda Ismail wrote:

> Would it be possible to simply close the window of any un-desirable
> transmission ?

I think the idea is to protect those not able to make this choice for
themselves. (Children, etc)

> >Some reflectors allow 'Adult' material to be transmitted over them, which
> >is fine. However, with the way the press and the general public feels about
> >'porn on the internet' these days I wonder if it might not be time to add
> >some sort of parental control to the CU software.

The main problem is that the children are better at this stuff than any
parental control mechanism. It is a better bet to educate the users.

> >Any reflector that allows adult material could have a flag set
> >in its configuration file that would initiate the confirmation with the
> >connecting client.
> >
> >I feel that doing something like this pro-actively might save some headaches
> >down the road, as well as furthering the goal of being 'internet friendly'.

Perhaps a better idea is to have servers that promise to only serve
family standard data set a flag, perhaps with a certificating authority
if you wish to be truly secure. I think that expecting those running
porn servers to be bothered to limit the accesses is a bit too hopeful.

> >Just one persons opinion.

> Juanda Ismail
>
> E-mail: juanda@edx1.educ.moansh.edu.au
> juanda77@pyromania.apana.org.au

and anothers,

yours,

Stephen.

--
Stephen H. Bonner, Network Services Officer, Network Services Group.
   United Kingdom Education and Research Networking Association.