Re: Is it me, my PC or CuSeeme

Rodney M. Dyer (rmdyer@uncc.edu)
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 09:12:15 -0400

At 11:35 PM 10/3/95 -0500, you wrote:
>Here's a question I have not seen asked on this list yet -- why is it
>that people are reporting aceptable audio along with video at 28.8 on the
>MAC platform, but for the most part FAIL at 28.8 on a windows platform
>(even WIN95 which was said to be 'better'). What is different on the
>mac side to allow "acceptable" two way conferencing on a dialup 28.8 that
>is absent under windows?
>-rb

That's easy. It's because the reflectors are limiting the bandwidth of
audio packets to PC's and not Mac's. Why? I'm not sure. But extensive
packet monitoring on our ethernet segment shows that PC's vs. Mac's on the
same segment just don't receive audio packets from the reflectors. The
client software appears not to have anything to do with it. Whenever
cuseeme does receive packets, it plays audio faithfully.

Is this a Mac conspiracy? I really doubt it. But I sure wish they would
get off their butts and fix this problem.

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer
PC Network Administrator
College of Engineering