Re: Adult Content -Reply

Rodney M. Dyer (rmdyer@uncc.edu)
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 09:58:19 -0400

Ok, so this is a pretty good idea.

Everyone who can send a transmission on the internet, whether it be by WWW,
CuSeeMe, StreamWorks, RealAudio, Iphone, NetPhone, or whatever, can send
anything they want. No censorship. But, in every client or server that
allows transmission, such as CuSeeMe, there should be a preferences section
with a little list box that allows the sender to attach a broadcast rating.
Something similar to the Movie ratings, like G, PG, PG-13, R, X, etc.. This
could be added to the HTML, compressed audio or video, as a single 1 byte
code. For example: G would be 0, PG would be 1, etc... Or, we could make
the variation levels much more smooth and use all the values of a byte.
Just think, 0 through 255 types of morality. Where 0 would be for anyone,
255 would be flat out absoulutely positively hear no evil, see no evil. A
one byte code added to a 14.4, 28.8, 56, 128, T1, or T3 is absoulutely
insignificant. True, most people would probalby ignore the rating dialog,
and set it to 0. But people who care that their transmission be acceptable
to a wide audience, eg. most respectable and reputable companies and
persons will set it to what they think is appropriate for what they are
transmitting. People become their own censors. Morality would finally
become standardized, just like products.

Once the code is received by the client software, it would be used to test
against a preset level by the parents of children. If the code is greater
than that set by the parents, then a password would be required for viewing
of the material.

OK, so this won't work, my values are not the same as your values, blah,
blah, blah...

Forget I said anything...

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer