CU-SeeMe on 7500

Mark Hartman (mh@primenet.com)
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 07:24:52 -0700

On Wed, 4 Oct 1995 at 09:30:24 -0400, R.Cogger@cornell.edu (Richard Cogger)
wrote:
> There have been several messages like the following from Mark Williams:
>
> "We tried to get CU-SeeMe running on a Mac 8500/120 today but had problems
> - the PPC version would quit during launching (type 1 error message). We
> also tried the 68K version on the powermac but this would freeze after it
> had lanched and the windows had appeared. Do you have any ideas as to what
> we may be doing wrong or is this a known problem? I noted that you were
> not sure there would be an issue with the 7500 & 8500 PowerMac video in
> the changes history read-me."
>
> We now have an 8500 here (and a 7500), and indeed, there video input device
> is not recognized by CU-SeeMe. Also, as reported elsewhere, the new IP
> stack that comes with the PCI Mac's, Open Transport, does not work with
> CU-SeeMe (and presumably other UDP apps, if any) via the MacTCP
> compatibility facility. We are working on adding native OpenTransport
> interface to CU-SeeMe, but it's not working yet.
>
> I've heard that folks have been able to pull OpenTransport and retrofit
> MacTCP and get CU-SeeMe to work, with a QuickCam or in RO mode, but we
> havn't verified that here.

To get CU-SeeMe to work on an OT (x500) machine, you've got to do the
following:

1. Install OpenTransport COMPLETELY.

2. Remove from the Extensions folder the libraries named "Open Tpt Internet
Library" and "OpenTptInternetLib". These are the libraries that have the
code for mishandling dialup connections. Also remove the TCP/IP control
panel.

3. Make sure that you have MacPPP 2.1.1SD or later (I use 2.2.0a) and MacTCP
2.0.6 or later. If you don't, they're available in the usual places.

This will permit AppleTalk to operate properly, but will supress OT's handling
of PPP networking.

Once I did all this, my 7500 was very happy to work and use built-in video
(with 0.83b2).

Mark Hartman Computer Solutions - specializing in all things Macintosh
C C++ 4th Dimension Networking System design/architecture
tel +1(714)758.0640 -+- fax +1(714)999.5030 -+- e-mail mh@primenet.com
"But it's not a fair test! People LIKE to use the Macintosh!"
"If war is ever lawful, then peace is sometimes sinful." --C. S. Lewis