Re: Help Troubleshooting CUSeeMe Arts Exchange

Aaron L Dickey (kieran@interport.net)
Sat, 7 Oct 1995 01:56:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 6 Oct 1995, Susan Jacobson wrote:

> We used a PPC 7100 to send our audio and video signals out. This worked
> very well. The other sites received our signals very clearly. But...we had
> problems receiving their audio and video. The video was very broken up,
> and the audio was non-existent. The strange thing: two other sites on the
> NYU campus received our signals, and the signals from the other places
> pretty clearly. Any ideas?

Are you referring to the Italy site or the other NYC site? If it's the
Italy site, my first guess is that they just don't have a wide-enough
backbone coming out of Italy. If the signal has to compete with a ton of
other traffic at the same time, it's going to slow down the throughput.
The distance the signal has to travel just makes it worse, because it
just gives the signal more places to get into a traffic jam.

Of course, even the NYC site would have problems if they're connecting
through a 28.8 modem or something.

__
Aaron Dickey The Associated Press - New York
kieran@interport.net HotWIRED Net Soup
And ex-NYUer. :)