Re: UDP or not to UDP???

Little Robbie Burcham (burchamr@lark.cc.ukans.edu)
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 13:29:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Rudy Amid wrote:

> An excerpt from Kathy Wheeler message:
> >
> > We are having trouble getting CU-Seeme to work at all with our host.
> > Their first question was "does it utilise UDP?" They have heavy filtering
> > by default on their servers. Can you assist with this type of technical
> > info??
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > KathyW.
>

> I was asking a similar question to the list a couple of weeks ago. I
> got no answer. I'm not even sure if anyone's here is familiar with CU-S
> internal workings.
>
> I've done some experiments, I think CU-Seeme _DOES_ utilitize UDP
> because I filter all UDP packets and cu-seeme reflectors doesn't respond.
> To complete my results, I shall hope to find out which port CUSeeme opens.

Cu-Seeme uses UDP port 7648. As far as I know, no one has developed a
proxy server for CU-Seeme such that it may xmit and recieve through a
firewall. One would think this would entail placing a reflector on the
firewall machine itself; a step such as this would be contrary to the
idea of firewalls and proxy servers.

Rob Burcham - BS, Computer Science
University of Kansas "He's nuts! Somebody grab him!"
Department of Special Education
http://robb.sped.ukans.edu
http://www.ukans.edu/~burcham