Re: Quickcam for PC

David Fridley (dgfasn@dante.lbl.gov)
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 13:35:49 -0700 (PDT)

Eric:

To sum up what is known so far regarding the Quick Cam for Windows:

1. It is being shipped, though there are heavy back orders at most
distributors. It doesn't appear to have reached retails channels yet.

2. It works just fine. I have it running on a Pentium 90 and the bundled
Quick Movie and Quick Pict software perform as expected.

3. CU-SeeMe, owing to the way it handles the 6-bit information coming from
the camera for conversion to 4-bit greys, and the lack of standard support
for Video for Windows API (which the QC implements), does not work well
with the Quick Cam. You can transmit a clean picture at 16 greys, but the
image is split on the bottom and noise on the top. With a 64 greys, you
get a full picture but a washed out, overexposed result.

4. (My opinion) Cornell does not appear to be particularly eager to
rewrite their drivers to support the QC for Windows, which appears to
stem from some inherent Mac bias.

5. White Pines, which has the commercial license to CU-SeeMe, is shortly
coming out with a new Windows version which will fully support the VFW
APIs and thus the Quick Cam. You can find more information on them at
www.wpines.com on the WWW.

6. Connectix is aware of the problem with CU-SeeMe and has noted they
will provide whatever support needed to White Pines and Cornell to get a
workable version out.