Audio bw (was Re: suggestions)

Tim_Dorcey@cornell.edu
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 17:39:02 -0400

Several days ago I posted the following (response to Marc):

>At 6:03 PM 10/11/95 -0500, Marc Kagan wrote:
>>Another very useful feature would be the ability to auto pause picture on
>>push to talk. When you push, the picture pasues to increase bandwith for
>>audio, depausing when you release the button! Is there a way to do this
>>now??
>
>This happens automatically now, on recent Mac versions at least. The combined
>outgoing data rate of all data types must stay under the transmission cap.
>Whenever audio is outoing (either by push-to-talk or squelch exceeded) the
>video
>frame rate automatically slows by a commensurate amount. This, along with
>reflector doing essentially the same thing (though just dropping video packets
>since it can't control the source frame rate), is why the audio is so much more
>reliable with recent versions of reflector and client.
>
>-Tim

What I described is how things are *supposed* to work on the Mac (and how
they did work internally for most of the summer), but not what actually
happens in version 83b1/b2. In fact, I just discovered that outgoing audio
is not counted against the bandwidth cap, so video will not automatically
slow down when audio is outgoing. Manual pausing will help the audio get
through. A fixed version should be available in a day or two. Sorry for
the misinformation. The reflector is behaving as I described.

-Tim

Tim Dorcey Tim_Dorcey@cornell.edu
Sr. Programmer/Analyst (607) 255-5715
Advanced Technologies & Planning