Re: EDO RAM

John R. Haggis (haggis@netcom.com)
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 00:52:19 -0700

EDO RAM is faster DRAM.

EDO stands for "Extended Data Out" which means the chip asserts the data on
its output pins longer (probably under special hardware handshaking), even
while the next requested address is strobed into the address lines. It
makes memory access faster because you can do the addressing and reading out
concurrently (albeit shifted). It's what makes Toshiba laptops at 75 MHz
with no level-2 cache outperform others running at 100 MHz with level-2 cache...

Micron Technology, I guess, pioneered this memory technology and features it
in their desktops.

- JohnR

--
John R. Haggis            haggis@netcom.com