RE: Quickcam as camara w/ capture board?

Technical Support (support@connectix.com)
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 12:14:23 -0700

This is incorrect. The Connectix QuickCam is a DIGITAL camera. It does =
not require a video capture board at all The images are already digital =
and therefore no digitizer is needed. NTSC and PAL signals are ANALOG =
signals which need to be digitized to be captured. The QuickCam is =
functionally a camera and digitizer built in to a ball.

John
Technical Support Staff
Connectix Corporation

internet: support@connectix.com
WWW: http://www.connectix.com
Compuserve: GO MACAVEN
AOL: Keyword - Connectix
Telephone: 1.800.410.3137

----------
From: Mike Frazier[SMTP:mfrazier@inmind.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 1995 6:23 PM
To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: Quickcam as camara w/ capture board?

My best guess is "no." This is because capture cards are set up to =
capture
standard protocols like NTSC (this is what your TV uses and is short for
"Never the Same Color"). QuickCam is so cheap because they eliminate all =
the
circuitry required to create a standard protocol (I believe RS-170 is =
the B&W
standard) and then decode it in a standard capture card. Basically they =
are
just strobing the CCD in the camera through the parallel port of the =
computer
(devilishly clever I might add!). This means the QuickCam is too "dumb" =
use with a typical capture card.