Re: My provider cut me off!!!

Ian Carr-de Avelon (avelon@phys.uva.nl)
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 10:49:37 +0100

At 23:59 19-10-95 -0700, David Berkham wrote:
> suddenly, yesterday, my provider(teleport)
>made a decision to cutoff all CU-SeeMe use on their service, because of the
>bandwidth problem it creates with their routers.

What is their precise reason?
We have seen objections before that the reflector sent 100K which
the modem could not possibly pass through. So the poor old provider was
paying for 100K of Internet connection for a 28K modem customer. That is
supposed to be different in the new reflector. Is there still a problem, or
reflectors using the old code, or is the provider refusing to provide 28K of
Internet access for a modem customer.
The latter would be quite understandable. Looking at the charges for
private lines, I get the impression thet unlimited 28K access should cost
more like $500 per month than the prices charged. The low flat rate charges
depend upon a) not everyone being on line all the time b) most people on
line sending and receiving bursts rather than flat out.
It will be interesting to see how this develops. I can imagine that
the low flat rates may fall away and we will have meetering, or cheap
providers and providers with a full service. The real problem comes with the
fact that the providers are the Internet. If one provider blocks packets to
CU-SeeMe's sockets, this may prevent CU-SeeMe traffic between customers of
other providers. This could be just the opening that Bill Gates has been
looking for :-0)
Yours,
Ian
* Ian Carr-de Avelon avelon@phys.uva.nl *