Re: proposal for finding people to chat with

Pete C. (petec@atc.ameritel.net)
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 17:59:16 -0400 (EDT)

> It has been my experience that finding people to chat with (on CUSEEME) is
> difficult. You have to meet people through various mailing lists, send
> e-mails back and forth to arrange meeting times, figure out the time
> zones. And there aren't that many people out there, it seems; I posted a
> message looking for people to talk to and I didn't get much response. I
> would like to be able to sit down at CUSEEME as I would with any text
> based bbs - Hit 'w' to see who's online, Hit another button to get
> information on that person, and then connect to them if I like. Indeed, a
> bbs would be the best place to exchange this information.
> There should be a place on the Net where one can post information , like :
[snip]

If you are a Windows user, you might want to try Iphone (Internet Phone).
Iphone provides realtime voice chat over the Net, and provides a channel
structure (via IRC) where people with different interests can meet. There
are frequently cusm channels on Iphone. You gain another benefit by using
Iphone- the ability to voice chat with other users, although you will need a
28.8 or faster connection for this to work. It sure beats CUSM's lousy
audio. (contact http://www.vocaltec.com for more info)

Don't overlook IRC either, as this is the "preferred" method of meeting
other CUSM'ers (for the time being anyway). There's always someone on one of
the cuseeme channels, no matter what time of the day you log on, and IRC's
text chatting facilities provide a means with which to talk with other
users.

-Pete