Re: My provider cut me off!!!

James Neeley (jneeley@alaska.net)
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 13:42:38 -0800

Brett Harvey replied to Jim Neeley's comments about Teleport blocking CU:

>Hello Jim,
>
>I personally would be very interested in seeing Teleport's explanation. I
>currently am a "regular" user of CUSM and frequent Cornell a lot.
>
>Some of the "regulars" also have a mailing list that is designed to talk
>about gatherings of CUSM people and general gossip. Some of the "regulars"
>have been affected by this also. People are heavily discussion the
>ramifications of the actions being taken place and I for one prefer to have
>as much information as possible to work with.
>
>I am also concerned because CUSM will be used be the new high school we
>have built that commences teaching next fall. If people are being cut off
>around the nation/world, we may need to rethink some of our approaches.
>
>Thanks for your time and I look forward to reading Teleport's explanation.
>
>Brett

Enough people have mailed me privately about this to warrant posting
Teleport's response here. Here is their message, in it's entirety.

As you will see, not only did they decide to block CU, they perceive CU's
current implementation as using an excessive amount of their resources,
hence they gave no advanced notice and are not offering refunds to people
wanting to switch providers.

While I have not mentioned this to my ISP, they did make a similar comment
to me a month or so ago. I truly hope that the developers will offer some
relief. CU is an excellant concept, but the more popular CU becomes the
larger the impact on the providers and the more providers that are likely to
follow after Teleport.

Jim Neeley