Re: proposal for finding people to chat with

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 20:51:47 -0500

Elliot Smith (smithe@warp6.cs.misu.NoDak.edu) wrote:

>It has been my experience that finding people to chat with (on CUSEEME) is
>difficult. You have to meet people through various mailing lists, send
>e-mails back and forth to arrange meeting times, figure out the time
>zones.
>I like the idea of the CU-SEE-ME bbs the best. BBSs are very popular.
>Why not go with that format for meeting people?
>
> -Elliot

Try the Undernet Internet Relay Chat (IRC) channel #CU-SeeMe. That's one of
the reasons we created the channel. You can also get interactive technical
help from others that way have had similar experiences. Interactive help is
much more efficient than sending one email message, waiting for a reply,
sending another msg with more information, and on and on.

In no way do I want you to think that we can solve any and every problem.
Speaking of the regular visitors to the channel, NONE of us are experts, but
there are a lot of nice people there, lots of them technically inclined, MAC
and PC users both, several people that run reflectors, and most of them have
cameras. We also have regular visitors from Belgium, Norway, England,
Canada, and Australia, and in the USA, from Texas, Arizona, Alaska,
Illinois, Massachusets, Florida, Kentucky, California, Oregon, Washington
DC, and the list goes on.

You might also check out the web page that I set up for this chat channel.
The URL is http://www.realtime.com/~wcw/

>From this URL you can get:

a list of Undernet IRC servers
Basic IRC information
Cu-SeeMe for the PC
Cu-SeeMe for the MAC
Cu-SeeMe for the Power PC
Cu-SeeMe for the Amiga
a reflector list for the PC or MAC
mIRC (Windows based chat client for the PC)
Homer (chat client for the MAC)
UCSC Windows based Reflector and Refmon

There is also a link from there to the Cornell CU-SeeMe home page, Michael
Sattler's CU-SeeMe page, John Lauer's CU-SeeMe Event page, Streak's CU-SeeMe
page, and a few others.

I try to keep the latest versions of the software there, so if I am out of
date on anything, please let me know.

If you plan to visit the channel, please read the channel rules and
etiquette before you join.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe