Help! MIS is up in arms

Dan Stanton (dstanton@MSMAIL.MESD.k12.or.us)
Tue, 24 Oct 95 14:34:00 PDT

Hi!
I am the Coordinator of Multimedia Technology at Multnomah Education Service
District. My job is to support teachers and learning organizations in the
county. CU-SeeMe is becoming widely know as a wonderful tool for teachers
and students. All of a sudden.........CU- SeeMe has been banned by MIS and
one of our local InterNet providers. Below is some of the arguments about
the use of CU-SeeMe. Please respond to the issues below so that I am able to
work toward having students use your fine tool.

Additionally I have also added a letter from a teacher to help you understand
the importance of the CU-SeeMe tool.

Cheers,
Dan Stanton
Multnomah Education Service District voice: 503.257.1566
Coordinator, Multimedia Technology Fax: 503.257.1519
e-mail: dstanton@msmail.mesd.k12.or.us http://www.mesd.k12.or.us

Dear Dan,

Teleport, my provider for more than two years, suddenly cut off access to
using CU-SeeMe to all its customers, without any notification. Which means
all the work I have been doing with Texas and South Africa, is being held
up, until I find another provider. I talked with Lynn Anderson and she may
be calling you about my situation. I am not familiar with either the
Portland School Network or the ESD network but I know what I need to
continue. I need a dial up IP or PPP account, which can run Netscape,
Eudora, and CU-SeeMe-current version. I don't know if you can help me but I
would appreciate anything you could do .
I am enclosing my speech that I delivered to the board in its final
form,as I know you were interested in its content. Lynn seemed to think
the board and Dr. Bierwirth were impressed. I would appreciate feedback
from you as well.
As of now, I can't invite you for a demo of CU-SeeMe. You'll have
to wait until I get a provider willing to let me use it. I can say I will
keep my teleport account until I get another one, but I will be looking for
one ASAP. I will keep you informed of my new address when I receive it.
Thanks.

> [...]
>of doing something can all be right" was an observation of one South
>African student. Other benefits from this one activity include using this
>new technology as an effective way of gathering information and the subtle
>art of communicating effectively.
> This school year, we are again communicating with South Africa,
>extending this established collaboration, working on a project to provide
>needy students in South Africa with discarded books.
> Last year, we also helped the students of Kobe, Japan, recover from
>their devastating earthquake, collecting school supplies. We corresponded
>with coordinators of this project using e-mail.
> Another exciting form of communicating via the Internet is through
>the use of free software from Cornell University called CU-SeeMe. This
>software allows my students to video-conference with other classrooms,
>scientists, and history experts over the Internet , with the use of a
>small, black and white camera. Students can meet and converse with people
>in France, England, Australia, Norway and Texas, for example, all at the
>same time. A direct, one-on-one conference is also possible. I have been
>collaborating with a third grade teacher in San Antonio, Texas, and we are
>currently planning units involving CU-SeeMe in the area of life science
>and U.S. history.
> It is truly exciting to watch and participate in one of these
>conferences.
> My students have the opportunity to participate in demonstrations
>of science, view the shuttle astronauts in orbit, share information with
>other classrooms around the world-in real time, participate in live
>competitions, and interview experts in their given field, specifically
>addressing educational outcomes in the areas of communication,
>self-directed learning, collaboration, and production. Dr. Bierwirth, Dr.
>McElroy, the board, and audience members have an open invitation to visit
>my classroom at Rose City Park for a demonstration of these wonderful
>learning tools.
> One of the draw backs to all this is the situation that face most
>schools in our district today: only one line, and/or one connection.
>Scheduling the use of this one computer is a challenge. Additional
>computers and the installation of computer networks connected to the
>Internet would provide the opportunity of what I am doing to every student
>and teacher in this district.
> My students come in every morning with a great enthusiasm for
>learning, knowing that they may meet someone in Tokyo or Texas without
>leaving their classroom, and enjoy sharing their experience with
>classmates and parents, which they demonstrate in many different ways.
>Through the instantaneous response the Internet offers, my students have
>reached out and joined a global consciousness, which has had an enormous
>impact on their perspective of the world.

Let me know what you think.

David

David Berkham
dberkham@teleport.com
Rose City Park School
2334 NE 57th Avenue
Portland, OR 97213
(503)280-6166

>Date: Sat, 21 Oct 1995 07:45:25 -0700
>From: bromley@teleport.com (John Bromley)
>To: greshamtech@hpux.mesd.k12.or.us, jking@hpux.mesd.k12.or.us
>Subject: We've disabled CU-SeeMe access.
>
>Please note the problems that CU-SeeMe causes on a network. This is why
>we have a rule that says you should not use CU-SeeMe on the MESD network.
>
>John

>> From: support@teleport.com
>> Newsgroups: teleport.announce
>> Subject: We've disabled CU-SeeMe access.
>> Date: 20 Oct 1995 10:08:10 -0700
>> Sender: zach@claudia.teleport.com
>>

>> Users should take note that Teleport has found it necessary to
>> lock out CU-SeeMe for the forseeable future. CU-SeeMe in its
>> current versions uses the UDP data transmission protocol, which, unlike
>> TCP/IP does not require that the sending machine receive confirmation
>> that packets are arriving safely in order to continue transmitting.
>> Those familiar with the concept will no doubt realize that the program
>> generates an extraordinary number of packets, and is bandwidth intensive
>> even on a ethernet connection. The combination produces vastly more
>> packets than can be transmitted over a modem line, causing a growing
>> backlog of undelivered, and undeliverable packets. Those packets collect
>> on our side within the router, and degrade its performance visibly. As
>> each router can be attempting to route the traffic for 32 modems, the
>> degradation affects the other users on that router.
>>
>> Teleport has always maintained that the overburdening of
>> resources by one user is unacceptable, when that behaviour affects other
>> users on the system. Our decision to move from discouraging CU-CMe to
>> blocking it is an extension of the rule regarding system resources.
>>
>> A quote from the 'rules' help file states the following:
>>
>> Here are the things you MAY NOT DO with a Teleport account:
>>
>> 5. Consume excessive system resources, such as disk space, RAM, or
>> processor time.
>>
>> For example: do not fill up public temporary space with files,
or
>> run programs that eat up huge amounts of RAM or CPU. You also
>> can't run processes while you are not logged in (leaving
detached
>> screen processes running, or running an IRC bot, for example).
>>
>> We hope that the creators of CU-SeeMe will design a future release to
>> handle modem communication better. Until such time, CU-SeeMe will not be
>> usable through our service. Questions regarding this decision can be
>> directed to support@teleport.com.
>>
>> Ted Dewey
>> Tech Support Mgr.
>> Teleport Internet Services
>>

>> --
>> Help Support get you a faster answer: 1) Check the help files and manual
>> first, send e-mail to help@teleport.com with only the word 'help' in the
>> subject line for instructions on accessing help files; 2) Include any
>> previous email between you and Support; and 3) Be as specific as you
>> can--the more detail you give, the faster we can track the problem down.
>> (This is a signature file; it's automatically attached to everything.)
>--
>John Bromley, Computer Coordinator, Sam Barlow High School, 5105 SE 302nd
Ave, Gresham, OR 97080 (503) 663-4112
> FAX (503) 663-7010 bromley@teleport.com
> http://www.teleport.com/~bromley/index.html

John King, Multnomah E.S.D.
11611 NE Ainsworth Cir, Portland OR 97220
Phone:(503) 257-1542 FAX:(503) 257-1519
jking@hpux.mesd.k12.or.us