Re: Quickcam problems

Jacqueline Chados (jackie@sri.webmate.com)
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 16:37:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Harry wrote:

> Jacqueline Chados wrote:
>
> > The more of these I read, the gladder I am that I went with the COMPRO
> > instead of the CONNECTIX camera!
>
> QUICKCAM UPDATE:
>
> During lunch, I called Connectix tech support. Here's what the nice
> young girl said:
> LPT1 must be used.
> LPT1 must be bi-directional/EPP.
>
> First thing that comes to mind is WHY ISNT THIS INFO ON THE CONNECTIX

I would have been totally out of luck if I got the CONNECTIX! My COMPRO
camera is running on my lpt2 with an old, slow uni-directional port. The
camera driver automatically locates the camera. Nothing to set. I've
tried moving it to lpt1 out of curiosity. No problem. Launch any software
that uses the camera driver and the driver figures out where the camera
is connected.

> QUESTION: DO they sell I/O cards with BI-DIRECTIONAL ports that will
> work in 386DX (ISA) slots?

YES.
Our local computer stores all have various I/O cards for ISA bus. They
should work with a 386 without any problem. Of course there's only one
way to be certain.....

If you buy one, make sure that the serial ports use 16550 uarts and not
the cheaper 16450's. There's no excuse for selling the latter, but there
are still some out there on the shelves.

Regards,
Jackie