Re: Questions

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 10:50:02 -0500

Geez, I'm not sure if this is any help or not...anyone else here want to
comment...go right ahead......

At 01:15 PM 10/21/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi to all,
>
>I do have couple of questions that I would like to ask?
>
>1) What is the bandwidth required for 30fps, color, CD-quality audio
>with Cu-Seeme?

This is difficult to answer without getting into the specifics of how CU
sends only pixels that change, and how this affects the FPS which is
reported in the status line. Without getting too technical, I'd say 30fps
is an unrealistic goal. Your PC has to be fast enough to get the video data
from the camera/capture device at that speed, and also have fast enough
connection to transmit that data.

The quick and easy answer would be 80-100kbps transmit SHOULD give you
pretty good FPS and audio, as long as both ends can send/receive without
getting involved in the traffic delays of the internet. On an ethernet LAN
you should get the best results.

>2) For a send only (audio and video) reflector, what is the required
>bandwidth w/ lets say 8 users?

uh...8*80-100kbps=800-1000kbps. Use a calculator.

>Well, that's all I guess, thank you very much in advance?
>
>Burak Ilhan

I'd love to hear someone from White Pine answer this. I'm sure they could
do a better job of it than I have.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe