Re: Newbie with basic questions

Dodger Posey (dodger@quack.kfu.com)
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 23:06:26 -0700 (PDT)

--------------Dodger Posey-----dodger@ihot.com-----------
(Alternate Email: dodger@quack.kfu.com)

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Island Lady wrote:

> 1. I have a b/w quickcam camera. It is plugged into the "modem" port
> of my Mac Performa 578...so, is there some way I can log on the net
> and use my quickcam? FWIW, when I tried to plug the camera into the
> other option "printer" port, it made life heck for trying to switch

buy a serial switcher. a $10 small box w/ a knob on the front for
switching manually between 2 serial inputs. ( 4 input models available,
too.) Interex makes a model. plug straight thru serial cable from
printer port to "main" port of the serial switcher. plug camera in
"a". plug the printers cable into "b". when you want video, turn the
knob to "a". when you want to print, turn the knob to "b", all while on
the fly, no shut down needed. cool. You can also get another box and
share the printer with other computers with these cool boxes...

hope this helps.

dodger