Re: unsubscribe SOLUTION

relkay01@fiu.edu
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 16:04:29 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Steve Edwards wrote:

> Hi gang!
>
> Just a thought, but could a simple form be created at the Cornell site with
> an UNSUBSCRIBE button. Anyone can fill out a form. We could just refer
> beginners there.

It's a good idea, but it will only work if some method of
origin-verification is used, or else anyone could unsubscribe you and me
without our permission. Even WITH origin-site verification, anyone from
the big companies (AOL, Netcom, ATT, etc) could easily unsubscribe someone
using the same service since they arrive from the same site.

The real way to solve the problem is to make Cornell upgrade their stupid
shthead listserver software. Other listservers have specifically dealt
with the misdirected mail problem by analyzing the incoming mail before
sending it to subscribers, so when a moron does something wrong, it lets
him know the RIGHT way.

If it bothers you so much, FORWARD each Unsubscribe request to a few head
honchos at Cornell, letting them know that if they feel it's OK for you to
receive junk mail, perhaps it's OK for you to send them junk mail too.

I think it's fair.

Ron