Re: Freeware vs. Whitepine ?

Jacqueline Chados (jackie@sri.webmate.com)
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 02:20:21 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Joe Price wrote:

> Thanks for getting to us on this. You shouldn't concern yourself with the
> invert gray-scale box. That was an old workaround for certain older video
> capture software that used to be on the market that had a bug regarding
> broadcasting video in negative format. In future releases we will be
> removing this little feature as it is long since unnecessary.

IT WOULD BE A HUGE MISTAKE TO REMOVE THIS FEATURE !!!!!!

THE CAMERA I AM USING REQUIRES IT !!!!!!!!!

> That it's
> acting the way it is when you launch Enhanced CU-SeeMe is quite natural;
> there should be no problem with its getting in the way.

It doesn't get in the way. The problem is that I want to have the box
checked. When I check it, it doesn't take effect unless I switch my video
preferences to color and then back to b/w. This is a just plain stupid
bug that should be fixed.

> Also, you can download our latest upgrade, 2.1 demo version of Enhanced
> CU-SeeMe for Windows which doesn't require a serial number (But if you want
> a demo serial number for Mac: DCBE010006G5DQC0.

I am running a PC here.

> your provider has supplied a true 28.8 connect for you. Many have "Gang"
> modems that give you the next available line, which after testing local
> providers has been as low as 2400 baud.
>
> Only have 1 window open. have the local window closed. Consider not keeping
> the partipants list open (Can eat up to 8K of bandwidth). when sending
> audio, freeze video. Remember that people with faster connections have a
> tendency to take over a reflector. Try connecting to reflectors that are for
> 28.8 connections. There are a quite a few out there.

I am beginning to wonder if you even read my email? When I transmit
audio, WP cu-seeme freezes. I have to do a ctrl-alt-del to recover. The
cornell cu-seeme works fine with my same system. When I posted this
problem to the cu-seeme-L I got a considerable number of people who told
me they are having the same problem. I asked what are you doing
differently than the Cornell software that makes you hang when the
cornell works fine.

> For Windows, Enhanced CU-SeeMe has DigiTalk 8.5, ideal for Audio-bandwidth
> conservation, selected by going to Edit/Preferences/Audio, under Compression
> Codec.
>
> I hope this all works out for you. Again, thanks for inquiring about
> Enhanced CU-SeeMe.

Perhaps you could read my original email(below) again together with my
additional comments (above), and provide a response that would be more
helpful.

Regards,
Jackie