Re: Re video conferencing

Thu, 2 Oct 1997 14:53:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Ross Binnie wrote:
> I would like to find a method or application for conferencing using POTS.
> My thinking is to have a sort of client server setup. Server would paste a
> photo on clients terminal. Client would send all monochrome video on one
> phone link and voice on a parallel line.
>
> Questions:
> Is there software available to do this.
> What sort of frame rate could I expect using oneway video transmission.
> What sort of video resolution could be achieved.

The only thing I've heard of which does this is AudioVision
(http://www.smithmicro.com/products/avdemo/AV20DEMO.htm) but I'm sure
there are others.
As far as frame rate or resolution, I'm not sure since I've never actually
used the software.

Paul Long who works at Smith Micro has a neat page up for general video
conferencing. http://www.computek.net/public/plong/ is the address. He
also posts to comp.dcom.videoconf from time to time.

You could always attempt to use CU-SeeMe over POTS by setting up your
winsock to dial to the other person manually. I've never really heard
about this working, but I don't see why it wouldn't.