Re: Drivers/Win95

Thu, 02 Oct 1997 16:58:49 -0500

Douglas Macduff wrote:

> hello list,
> Someone answered some sort of driver question with this url.....
>
> > I would start out with making sure that you have the latest drivers:
> > download from
> > ftp://ftp.cle.creaf.com/pub/creative/drivers/sb16awe/sbw95up.exe.
> >

> My question is this:
> How do I know which drivers I need?
> My system is only 1+ year old. And some programs when installing say my
> system has drivers or files that are newer than the ones being installed,
> do I want to keep them..(yes). But how do I find which drivers are the ones
> I need?
> I've been to many update your driver web pages, but have no idea how to go
> about deciphering which
> drivers I need...
> I don;t want to make the mistake of installing a driver that would conflict
> with my system. I have the latest quickcam drivers.....that was pretty
> simple....either win3.1 or Win95.
> My system
> Win95 (also WIN3.11 in diff directory)
> Pentium 75mhz (upgrade coming soon)
> 500+ Megabytes (upgrade coming soon)
> 33.6k baud (fairley new)
> All video conf hardware
>
> One more before I go......
> I had windows for workgroups 3.1.1 than using System Commander, I was able
> without partitioning my HD, to install WIN95 as well, though in a diff
> directory. THis way I can run either on startup...SC asks which OS I'd like
> to use.....my questions is: How can I uninstall WIn3.11 without jurting my
> WIn95 setup.
> I'd like to run WIn95 soley on my computer without any further interference
> of WIn311. I am sure my pc would run better and the Video Conferencing
> would work better too.
> If this is irrelevant please disregard
>
> > You should also check to see if you do have conflicts, or if W95 has
> > installed the drivers in the wrong place.
> >
> > (1) Right Click MyComputer/Properties, Choose Device Manager/Sound, video
> > and game controllers and look on the list for your card. If the name of
> > your card has a ! next to it then there is a conflict. If you find the
> > name of the sound card in the wrong category, then you will have to
> > reinstall.
> >
> > (2) Remove the old one first. Just click on the offending driver
> > and click on Remove.
> > _____________
> >
> > this is the text of the original post:
> > _____________
> >

> > woman with an ibm compatible, windows95 and a new Sound Blaster Awe64
> Gold
> > sound board sent me the following message. any suggestions on what the
> > source of the problem is as well as how it can b solved would b
> > appreciated. the problem occurs when she tries to run the color version
> of
> > quickcam in black and white mode with cuseeme when the sound board is
> > installed. quickcam works fine with cuseeme when the sound board is
> removed.

> [...]
If you look at the properties, you will find the version. You may look
at the age of the file as well. That may be a clue. It is always smart
to delete old drivers first. You will have less conflicts. Also, many
driver downloads are generic, that is, they contain drivers for more
than one application. So beware and be knowing what driver you need.
There should be a list of hardware and the corresponding filename.
You do not delete old drivers if the new ones are designated "updates".