Re: recording a chat session...

Thu, 2 Oct 1997 18:50:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, David N Emerick wrote:
> My name is David Emerick and I am the gallery director for the Boyden
> Gallery at St. Mary's College of Maryland. I am installing a new exhibition
> by Alan Stone in our gallery which will include projected CU-SeeMe windows
> with people chatting about their dreams (or so Alan hopes). My dilemna is
> that the show goes up in a week and Alan has not found a way. I would like
> to know if there is some method of recording chat sessions and playing them
> back. We have set up a reflector on the school's Unix box and have a good
> size (9 gig) hard drive on the CPU that will be projecting the chat.I would
> like to be able to play previously recorded sessions at slow times.

What do you mean "at slow times"? In real time?
I'm not sure of a Macintosh application to capture a part of the screen in
real time to a movie (quicktime/avi/etc) but I do know of a PC application
that does this. I use SnagIt/32 (http://www.techsmith.com I think is the
address) with win95. You can easily get someone to type live to you..with
delays,etc and save the chat window to an AVI file. Then you can play it
back and loop it as long as you want.

I actually saw someone use this type of technique on a web page..to
connect to a "virtual CU-SeeMe session"... to imitate logging into a
reflector on a web page. They had moving CU windows...moving chat
window,etc.

> Let me elaborate a bit more. We are running a Mac platform system tied to
> an ASK 750 data/video projection unit that will project onto the wall. The
> artist would like to prerecord some CU-SeeMe video conferencing to play
> back. We have four color Quickcams that will be in the computer center in
> various divisions at various times. These machines will reflect through the
> campus Unix server to a PowerMac 4400 in the gallery which will project
> their image on the wall.

I'm not sure what you need the reflector for...If you're looking at
prerecording CU-SeeMe sessions, a reflector isn't really needed for much.
The hard part is finding people that would connect at the right time frame
that you need.

> I am also considerring creating Quicktime movies
> that could be scripted to play consecutively, if we need a fall back. We
> would also like to be able to open this up to the world as well. We would
> like the appearance of a real time chat and also to open up the chat
> session to the world.

The "appearance" of real time chat? Real time chat isn't hard to
get...but it is hard to script. You might want to record some CU-SeeMe
sessions then play it back. Opening it up to the world means you get a
lot of people who may chat about anything under the sun.