Re: IP Addresses & DC's

Mon, 6 Oct 1997 14:05:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Rolf Hemmerling wrote:
> Jason Williams wrote:
> > You can try using a service like Monolith's DynIP (
> http://www.ml.org
> > )
> > to get a static name for your IP, but then it's still up to you to
> > change it each time you dial in.
> The server is down very often, from my point of view. I was even not
> able to subscribe this morning. Any other observations regarding speed
> and online presence of this server ? Just a bad day for MONOLITH.. or
> usual business ?

Yep..it is down a lot...but then you get what you pay for I suppose :) and
since it is free, I wouldn't rely upon it for important things.

As an aside..my reflector scanner is available thru Monolith as well
(http://cuseeme.home.ml.org) but I've hesitated to advertise that as the
only address because of it being down.
I've had fairly good success with their URL redirection..but I haven't
used DynIP very much to know if it's reliable or not. It's still a neat
idea though. From what I understand, a few ISP's are also doing something
similar to what Monolith does. Maybe that idea will spread to other
services at some point.