Re: Getting Timed-Out!

Mon, 6 Oct 1997 14:18:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Rolf Hemmerling wrote:
> Don=B4t You mistake the CU-SEEME client and server timeout with that of
> Your providers ? The WP shareware client version 2.1.1x has a timeout
> of 30 minutes, the WP shareware client version 3.x a timeout of 15
> minutes, the CORNELL client and server versions have *no* timeout, of
> course.

True...the White Pine versions timeout..that's one reason why I urge
everyone to use the Cornell versions..besides the fact that they are
pretty much bug free, they don't timeout. It's been my experience that
most people who use the White Pine versions do so primarily because of the
ability to send/receive color. You could always try to get WP to sell you
the 2.X versions though it seems they'll probably drop support for them
soon and only support 3.0/3.1.

> There are even some WP shareware refs online, as I learned (?),
> and they have a 10.. 30 minutes timeout, too (does anybody know the
> exact values for the different shareware versions ?).

This was stuck in the WP 2.1 reflectors (possiblty the MeetingPoint
reflectors as well..I'm not sure since I've only seen the betas of it).

The WP 2.0 demo reflectors limit you to 10 participants on the reflector
at once. the WP 2.1 demo has this limit as well as a 15 (I think) minute
time limit. I've been told the time limit isn't an exact thing
though...Some people timeout from it within 10 minutes..others take 30
minutes. I've never been on a WP 2.1 demo reflector so I don't really
know. I've pointed everyone that might be running a demo 2.0/2.1
reflector to Brian Godette's Enhanced Reflector which has a lot of the
same abilities and doesn't impose any timeout limits or participant
limits.

> Additionally, I
> learned (?), some refs are able to cut off a non-paying user after a
> certain time, in opposite to paying users. Is this kind of timout
> possible with any ref at all ? I can=B4t remember the details or the ref
> where I read something like this.

The WP 2.1 and MeetingPoint reflectors have billing control
built-in...There's one time admits to allow an IP in for one time..and
also you can enforce conference time limits. (A lot of the pay reflectors
do this for non-paying members..allow them on for 15 min at a time).

The billing controls (at least in 2.1) are quite primitive though..you
have to program CGI scripts to handle the interaction between the web page
and the reflector...I've never seen the billing part work much..but I have
seen a lot of reflectors impose timelimits on the conference. I do it on
my public reflector to prevent people from idling forever and preventing
others from connecting.

In any case...the reflector should tell you why it boots you. (Unless you
have a Mac client..which doesn't seem to support the MOTD mechanism for
displaying messages...It might just time you out). You can always tell if
the reflector itself timed you out by trying to go to another reflector
that you know is up. If you can get there, your connection isn't killed.

> Because with CU-SEEME You are always tranmitting as soon as You are
> connected, You may not be caught by "idle times checks" of Your
> provider, from my point of view. Look at hthe txt led on Your modem !

Idle times from ISPs are usually based on TCP/IP traffic from what I've
seen. So if you don't send/receive any data at all, you'd timeout. I
have a 2 hour idle limit on my ISP..but just running something like ICQ
avoids it. There's "keep alive" and ping type of programs out there
(http://www.tucows.com) that will prevent you from timing out as well.
That only helps for idle times though...not connection time limits... All
the ISPs here in Austin impose 3-4 hour limits..where they'll cut you off
after 3 hours online regardless of how idle you are.