Re: Get Host Error

Mon, 6 Oct 1997 14:27:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Prof. White wrote:
> I downloaded version 0.92b2 from Cornell. Went thru the Install procedure.
> When I tried to run it, I got the following message:
>
> "Gethostbyname() failed (11004)"
>
> What does it mean?
>
> Using the phone book & doing"Connect" to some user, I get
> "This program has performed an illegal operation & will be shut down"

I don't know about the illegal operation problem..but make sure you're
connected up to the net (ie: other net applications work ok)..

As far as the Gethostbyname problem... Check out Bill Woodland's help page
on that topic.. at http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/~WCW/gethost.htm

You may need to create a hosts file that has all the possible combinations
of IPs from your ISP in it.