Re: modem speeds revisited

Tue, 07 Oct 1997 23:51:43 -0500

Bill Woodland (Squeek) wrote:
>=20
> Mark: Is this the message you were looking for? If not, tell me a bit=
of
> exactly what it was about, and I'll find it for you.
>=20
> >Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 12:45:26 -0500
> >Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
> >From: "Bill Woodland (Squeek)" <wcw@bga.com>
> >To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
> >Subject: modem speeds revisited
> >
> >There was some discussion on this list recently about modem connection
> >rates. I would like to clarify a few things.
> >
> >There are two different rates invloved here. One is the DTE (Data Ter=
minal
> >Equipment) speed, which is the speed that the COMPUTER talks to the MO=
DEM.
> >The other speed is the DCE (Data Communications Equipment) speed, whic=
h is
> >the speed at which YOUR modem talks to your ISP's modem. Most newer m=
odems
> >can talk to the computer at 57600 or even 115200, even tho their maxim=
um
> >DCE speed may be limited to 28800. The modem does the "speed matching=
"
> >between the two connections; modem to modem and modem to computer.
> >
> >DTE Speed:
> >In DUN, right click on your connection and choose Properties, then on
> >Configure. The "Maximum Speed" setting there tells Windows how fast i=
t can
> >talk to the MODEM ITSELF. Of course, if you set this too low, you WIL=
L be
> >limiting your connection speed, but if your modem can handle it, set t=
his
> >to 115200. If you have errors at this speed, set it down to 57600.
> >
> >DCE Speed:
> >Many modems report the DTE speed as a default. My Motorola Lifestyle =
28.8
> >modem reports the DCE speed as a default. Here's what my modem book s=
ays
> >this about the \V command:
> >
> >\V Computer to modem speed
> >\V1 Computer to modem speed with error correction and data compressio=
> >information
> >\V2 Modem to modem speed only
> >\V3 Modem to modem speed with error correction and data compression
> >information
> >*\V4 Modem to modem speed with modulation, error correction and data
> >compression information
> >
> >* default
> >
> >Since the \V4 is the default for my modem, I see the actual connection
> >speed to my provider. The command to do this may vary from modem to m=
odem,
> >so check your modem manual. If the default is to report computer to m=
odem
> >speed, then you're being misled about the amount of data you can
> send/receive.
> >
> >If you have a 28.8 modem and your Win95 DialUp Networking (DUN) connec=
tion
> >always reports connection speeds of 56700 or similar, you need to find=
the
> >command for your particular modem that tells it to report the DCE (mod=
em to
> >modem) speeds. Then go to DUN, right click on your connection, choose
> >Properties, then click on Configure/Connection/Advanced and in the "Ex=
tra
> >settings" edit box you can put that command in so that your actual mod=
em to
> >modem speed will be reported.
> >
> >Once you have done all this, you should be able to see the speed at wh=
ich
> >your modem actually connects, and you can adjust your CU-SeeMe rates
> >accordingly.
> >

> >Bill Woodland (Squeek =A9) PC questions only, please.
.html

Actually, this wasn't the one I had in mind, but it does shed good light
on how speed is reported by your computer.
The one I was thinking about was a correction you made for me concerning
connection speeds and full and half duplex modems. It was less than a
year, but things have been hazy (as in hazing) lately for me, so I can't
really place the time.

Thanks for the help!
--=20
CU-Seeme unsubscribe or information?=20
http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/listinfo.html
CU-Seeme list archive?=20
Reflector lists? http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/streak/scan
Mark L. Bardenwerper #:?)
Technology...thoughtfully...responsibly.