Re: new user

Mon, 13 Oct 1997 14:16:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Pzimber wrote:
> I'm just starting to check into CU-SeeMe and I have a very basic
> question. Can two users with dynamic IP dial-up accounts connect? If so,
> how since the IP address changes each time you log-on?

In the past few years..this has been a relatively big problem...But now
with things like ICQ (http://www.mirabilis.com) out, it's not that big of
a problem anymore. The way I've dealt with it in the past is to find a
reflector to meet on at a set time. This is kind of like saying "Meet me
at 45th street at 1pm and we'll go have lunch together".

With ICQ (and other things like ichat and PAL), the dynamic IP problem
isn't a big one. It notifies you when your friend is online and gives you
their IP and if you have the White Pine version of CU even allows you to
connect to them. There's also the Four11 directory for White Pine users
which accomplishes the same sort of task.