Re: Audio Problem with v0.92b2

Mon, 13 Oct 1997 17:50:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Jon P. Brumbach wrote:
> The only reflector I have been able to connect with so far to test out the
> program and my settings is the NASA reflector at the Lewis Research Center
> (IP 139.88.27.43)

Are you looking to specifically test out audio? There's a huge list of
reflectorss on my reflector scanner at
http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/streak/scan but I only know of a
few that run continuous audio..NASA and tu1/2.

> the video comes through fine, but the audio, if I get any
> at all, sounds like a diesel locamotive idleing. I emailed the site's
> developer regarding this problem, but have not gotten a reply.

I'm not sure what audio codec NASA uses to send audio..I've never had much
success thru a modem on NASA's reflector either..Last time I dived into
NASA successfully was when I was on campus on the T3...Audio worked
flawlessly then so my guess is they might be sending 32kbps Intel DVI
audio.

> My platform is: Pentium 100MgH, 24k ram, Boca 33.6 modem, Soundblaster
> comp. card, and Windows 95.

24k ram? there's the problem.. :)
24 Megs ram I hope is what you mean :)

> If anyone has any idea what I can do to fix the audio problem I would
> appreciate it (by the way, the audio comes through fine when I connect to
> NASA using a Vosaic reflector).

Vosaic reflector? I think that's more geared towards audio but I'm not
sure. CU-SeeMe was first designed for video only (took a few years to get
audio at all into CU)..Only recently with White Pine is audio for modem
users becoming more practical though I've done 16kbps Delta-mod audio just
fine over my 28.8kbps modem.

Try the tu1/2 reflector at 131.178.23.20 for some audio tests. They've
always run audio when I was there and it sounded pretty good.