Re: Versions and Reflector Sites

bgodette@idcomm.com
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 10:19:22 -0600

At 06:26 PM 10/13/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>>30Fps digitzized in camera, no card, just the USB port. No extra load on
>>>processor.
>>>
>>>Gary
>>
>[...]
>>For most cases it should have less CPU load than a PPort, but saying "no
>>extra load" isn't being realistic. Also remember that this is only an
>[...]
>
>I've been proven wrong, and have fallen under the wrath of sales
>literature. My apologies.
>
>Gary

Don't get me wrong, USB is a good step in the right direction for supplying
a common bus without resource conflicts for low-bandwidth peripherals like
keyboards, mice, joysticks, soundcards, and scanners. It's usability for
video capture is basically dependant upon your application, which for
something like CU is a perfectly reasonable use. However if your goal is to
capture real video clips the only viable solution is still a capture card.
I'm sure we'll be seeing things like Jazz & Zip drives on USB along with
tape drives and CDROM, however I personally feel that would be a bad use,
and if you really want external storage devices that SCSI is the way to go.