Re: Slide window for windows?

Thu, 16 Oct 1997 14:08:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Robert Hsiung wrote:
> Is it true that the Windows version of CUSM doesn't include a slide window?
> That would make it a lot less cross-platform, and therefore a lot less
> applicable...

Not only does the Windows version of CU-SeeMe not include the slide
window, the Mac White Pine version doesn't either. It appears White Pine
is pushing their WhiteBoard capabilities to make up for lack of the slide
window. In that aspect, the Windows version (Enhanced CU-SeeMe) does have
the WhiteBoard which can do a lot more than the slide window can.

I've never actually heard of anyone USING the slide window since it's not
required for communication as is video, audio, and chat window. From what
I remember, the slide window emerged as a way to show off the capabilities
of the aux-data protocol. It's no more less cross-platform than the
Win95/NT Cornell 0.92b2 version's ability to have private chatting while
the Mac version requires a plugin to do it.

The cross-platform idea also falls apart when you consider mixing in the
Unix flavors into CU-SeeMe. NV is only capable of receiving/sending
video. There is no chat window equivalent at all and you have to have an
NV-capable reflector to even use it with CU-SeeMe. I've heard VAT doesn't
support the 16kbps Delta-Mod audio codec so anyone you wish to talk to
with Unix must use the 32kbps Intel DVI codec.

Cross-platform is taking a new meaning with H.323 compliant programs these
days. Not only can you have the same program on different platforms, you
can also have one program talk to another one. CU-SeeMe, NetMeeting,
Intel's VideoPhone, possibly Apple's Quicktime conferencing, as well as a
unix H.323 compliant program which is in the works...all talking to each
other. CU-SeeMe currently is only cross platform between Mac and PC.
With the H.323/T.120/etc specs, it makes videoconferencing truly cross
platform.

In short...PC users don't miss the slide window from what I can tell. :)