Re: Modem user (cable modems)

Thu, 16 Oct 1997 14:19:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Eric Ochoa [NOL Staff] wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Howell, Burgess wrote:
> > $99 - flat monthly fee for 256k access ($100's more to open up the pipe)
>
> Lets see, we get $450.00 per month for 256k access, so.. thats cheap.

Whoa...You actually have people PAYING that kind of price? What
percentage of your customers are using cable modems if it costs that much?
I'm not sure of the details of how it all works...but from what I
understand, cable modems aren't asynchronous. You get the bandwidth in
both directions. Here in Austin, I just read a proposal by Southwestern
Bell to offer ADSL in limited areas to give you 384kbps up and 1.5Mbps
down for $200 a month. I imagine that's just for the connection to the
phone company though and not at the ISP level. From what I read about it,
the ISPs have to subscribe to SWB's ATM network for it to work. There's
no telling what the ISP will charge.

Unfortunately, it seems a few places are going to a "pay for how much you
use" scheme. This will heavily restrict the people who use high bandwidth
applications like CU-SeeMe.

(...waiting for IPv6 to come along...and to see how well bandwidth
reservation will work...)