Re: Modem user (cable modems)

Pastor Chris M. Farmer (cfarmer@nwkansas.com)
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 17:11:34 -0700

Pastor Chris M. Farmer wrote:

> > Howell, Burgess wrote:
> >
> > > Let's see... $1678 (or $1703) for the first year's access. $1188
> > > thereafter. Ouch.
> > >
> > > Around here, way cool = way expensive.
> > >
> > > Burgess
> >
> > At Kearney, Nebraska (pop. 25,000) I believe it's $40-50 per month which
> > includes installation and modem rental. I have to ask my daughter about
> > this for sure but the price there is a lot better!

I called the ISP there as I had ordered some (clip on the side of the
computer microphones) to use with CU-SeeMe. The modem would cost about
$350 to buy or you can rent it for $10 per month plus the $39.95 per
month usage fee. There also needs to be a ethernet card in your
computer ($40-50) that you have to buy and put in or they would. So the
cost was pretty close to what I mentioned earlier plus the one-time
ethernet card ($40-50). There's a good relationship between the ISP and
the Cable Company. I think they are under separate ownership as far as
I know.

God Bless,

Chris