Re: Modem users

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 23:27:36 -0500

At 08:26 PM 10/16/97 -0400, Nick Faba wrote:
>I hope I'm not breaking a faq rule, but...
>
>I'm looking for a recommendation for
>
>1) vid cams, <$300 for a lab type environment (durability needed)

Connectix Quickcam seems to be the most widely used. You can get a
refurbished one for $50 from http://www.outpost.com

First of all you need to decide which version of CU you're going to use.
Some video capture cards work with both the Cornell and the White Pine
version, and others will only work with one or the other, and lots of them
won't work with either.

Check these links for compatible video capture cards for the various=
versions:

http://support.cu-seeme.com/h64.HTM
ftp://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/pub/CU-SeeMe/Win16 and get the "compat.txt" file.
http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/V32X/V32XFront.html and click on "Capture Cards"

>2) reflector SW. Is it a rule to go with W.P.? I've heard of one or
>two free ones...anyone try setting one up?

Check the INTRO section of my web page for links to the Cornell (FREE) and
Brian Godette's (FREE) Enhanced reflector programs. If you want the White
Pine ref program, you have to call them.

>Mac vs. PC doesn't matter, can use either.
>=20
>
>Also, anyone know how to stop a videocamera, 8mm, consumer grade, from
>auto shutoff of it's video ? seems to be a battery saver
>thing...obviously.

hmmm...good luck with that...you might have to contact the manufacturer or
perhaps a tv/vcr repair shop could install a switch or something for you.