Re: Winnov vs...

Si Ballenger (sballen@cetlink.net)
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 00:46:29 -0400

The boards do look the same (although I don't have an actual winnov board to
check), including the big chip on the board having WAVI-95 WINNOV stamped on
it. Engineering and manufacturing cost being being what they are, I doubt
that there is a big difference in the design (maybe more on board memory?).
They advertise being able to do the exact same thing, so any differences
should be slight. As for the software, the small print on the easycam and
easyconnect cd that came with it says copywright winnov. The cd is version
1.0, but I've never used it. Instead I went to the winnov site and got the
2.0 software for windows 3.11 and have been running it with no problems (the
windows 95 setup could be different). The fact that philips refered you back
to winnov shows a close relationship between the two. The winnov guys have
set up a news server at 208.203.3.30 where they answer questions and give
tips. As for paying too much, I'll sell you my $160 14.4 modem and $3,000
486-66! ;-)