Re: Slide window for windows?

Robert Hsiung (dr-bob@uchicago.edu)
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 09:50:56 -0500 (CDT)

At 8:01 PM -0500 10/16/97, Jason Williams wrote:

>You could always replace the slide window with something like White Pine's
>whiteboard...

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's the difference between a
slide window and a whiteboard? A slide window lets you display files, but a
whiteboard just lets you scribble?

>As far as I know, none of the standards based packages allow for
>multipoint conferencing except when connecting to a multiconferencing
>bridge like White Pine's MeetingPoint Conferencing Server.

Hmm, sounds like WP's found themselves a niche. I bet their server isn't
cheap...

>If the slides can be shrunk (down to 160x120 4 bit grayscale), you can try
>looking into Boxtop's iVisit (http://www.ivisit.com) which has a paste
>mode where you can paste what's in the clipboard into your video window.
>
>Similar to the above...there are also a few ways to send static pictures
>in your CU window.

Hmm. The static picture stays there until you cancel it or something? And
audio continues? That would be better than no slides at all.

But: if they're plain old pictures, wouldn't it work just as well, if not
better, to make them available via the web instead? Then all people would
need to do is have CUSM and their browser going at the same time. It would
be division of labor! Wouldn't that work?

Bob