Re: Slide window for windows?

Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:46:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Robert Hsiung wrote:
> Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's the difference between a
> slide window and a whiteboard? A slide window lets you display files, but a
> whiteboard just lets you scribble?

The slide window serves as a limited whiteboard. The slide window displays
files, whiteboard displays files, images, excel documents, word documents,
pictures, anything from the clipboard, etc AND lets you scribble :)
It's not quite as nice as application sharing like Netmeeting allows for,
but I can envision some good uses for it.

> Hmm, sounds like WP's found themselves a niche. I bet their server isn't
> cheap...

Actually..there are other companies coming out with MCU's (multipoint
conferencing units I believe) for H.323 compliant packages. I've heard of
at least one other one in the works from comp.dcom.videoconf. White
Pine's is the only one that incorporates CU-SeeMe directly though with
backward support for earlier CU versions.

> Hmm. The static picture stays there until you cancel it or something? And
> audio continues? That would be better than no slides at all.

I imagine until you send the next one, it would stay up there.

> But: if they're plain old pictures, wouldn't it work just as well, if not
> better, to make them available via the web instead? Then all people would
> need to do is have CUSM and their browser going at the same time. It would
> be division of labor! Wouldn't that work?

That works as well :) As long as people can load up CU and their web
browser at the same time without memory problems. You could always
distribute the slides beforehand so people can have them on their computer
before the presentation begins. There's a lot of options.