Re: Two Onlie Dialers

Gary Dietz (gdietz@wpine.com)
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 18:23:36 -0400

Bashar,

I hope that someone with more tech expertise will chime in, but here is my
understanding...

On CU-SeeMe from White Pine (I don't know about Cornell) you can initiate a
multipoint conference from CU-SeeMe clients, with no Reflector or
MeetingPoint server, if your network cards, network (routers, hubs, etc)
are IP multicast capable.

If your infrastructure does not support IP multicast, you will not be able
to do this without a server.

However, after White Pine's announcements with our ISP partners, you'll
soon be able to "rent" private conference rooms for your own use (and in
fact you can do this today at Refland at www.refland.com).

There are many "public" servers out there now... Check Streaks reflector
list or White Pine's CU-SeeMe pages for a listing of some active ones. Of
course, these will not be private conferences and God knows who you'll meet
(this can be a plus or a minus ;-)

I expect to be corrected by list Gods... So correct and/or flame away.

Gary

--
/\/\ Gary Dietz  White Pine Software, Inc./\/\/\/\/\/\
     Product Manager, Vertical Solutions