Re: Adult Lists

Sat, 25 Oct 1997 20:01:56 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Eric Ochoa [NOL Staff] wrote:
> <soapbox>
> I would just like to comment on a common misconception that alot of people
> seem to have. While the most common method today is by connecting "via
> IP", alot of people have become trained to think that ONLY an IP address
> will work, when in almost all cases, an actual hostname works just as
> well.

True :) and a lot of times the hostname is easier to remember. Maybe it's
just me, but I consider an IP address to be either the numeric or the
name. It's still all an IP address. The IP address is usually faster (at
least on my system), because it doesn't have to go to the trouble of
resolving the name to a numeric. Also keep in mind, CU doesn't work with
REALLY long hostnames. Try DC'ing with someone on uu.net or something and
you'll see what I mean. Some versions of CU severely limit the number of
characters you can type in. But in general, reflectors don't have very
long hostnames.

> For example I have told people to connect to "reflector.nol.net"
> (doesn't that sound easy to remember?) and they INSIST on me giving them
> the IP (206.126.32.101).

Yep..I've seen the same thing. Most people associate numerical IPs to
reflectors, not hostnames. I remember back on the Mac version (0.70 I
believe) where you COULDN'T enter in hostnames. But that hasn't been the
case since 1995.
reflector.nol.net = 206.126.32.101 = nol.net = dazed.nol.net
fp.nol.net = trippin.nol.net = 206.126.33.200
Aren't IPs fun :)

As an aside, my reflector scanner only allows numerical IPs for reflectors
mainly for appearance. It's also easier for me to check if it's a valid
numerical IP within the language the scanner is written in. Checking for
a valid hostname isn't as easy unless I exec out to a host lookup program.