Re: Netmeeting v Cuseeme

Sun, 26 Oct 1997 22:56:40 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, ike relucio wrote:
> i feel the cu-seeme is much better than netmeeting for the following
> reasons:
>
> 1. cu-seeme lets you see more than 1 video at a time compared to netmeeting

I don't know how true the rumors are, but I've heard netmeeting may
support multipoint conferencing at some time in the future. I've seen
words to that effect in comp.dcom.videoconf for sometime. This is one
reason that keeps me going with CU.

> 2. you don't have to continuously refresh the participant list in cu-seeme
> to see who has just joined the reflector/directory server or whatever it is
> called in netmeeting. in netmeeting, if you want to know who has come into
> the directory server after you, you will have to refresh the entire list.

The directory server in netmeeting doesn't serve the same type of function
as the participants list in CU. Directory server is more like the scan
function of my scanner. It gives a list of people you can potentially
connect to. If the directory server updated itself, I'd imagine it'd blow
a lot of bandwidth kind of like having about 25-30 people on a reflector
and the bandwidth taken up with OpenContinue packets to keep the status of
everyone up to date.

> 3. you don't have to wait for what seems like an eternity for your chat
> window to connect with the other chat windows in cuseeme.

Yeah, that is a bit annoying. At least Netmeeting handles this better
than Internet Phone 4.5. It gets really hard trying to connect to someone
who's in a chat with someone else and *poof* you can't get any chat window
at all.

CU is till much better :)