Refs or no refs

Sun, 26 Oct 1997 09:34:57 +0100

Jason Williams wrote:
> The reason it's a good thing is because it allows you see and be seen
> by multiple people. This is compared to software like Freevue and
> iVisit which allow multipoint conference without a reflector but the
> bandwidth you send at is reduced for each person that wishes to see
> your vid. If you are sending 20kbps and you have 5 people watching
> you, each person only gets an average of 4kbps from you. With
> CU-SeeMe, if you send 20kbps on a reflector, everyone can get you at
> 20kbps regardless of how many people are watching you.
If You don=B4t have at least a T1 connection (no private Internet client
has such in Europe !), that=B4s the baddest thing with CU (I am connected
by 28.8 kbps / 33.6 kbps):

If You would like to see just a few people, selectively (because You
know that Your bandwidth is limited), everything works fine with iVisit,
if not too many people want to watch the same person.

On an occupied, busy CU-ref, You don=B4t see a single picture of a / any
user even after 10 minutes, or so.=20

Especially lets discuss about the negative influence of "lurkers"
(people without cams) on the bandwidth available for "true" users with
cam ! From my point of view, they are bad anyhow, but with Cu refs, they
ruine the system performance overall. It is really the bad thing for CU
refs that lurkers ***receive*** video ?!!! Think about it !!

There is the contradiction between the Top 10 % "busy refs" like
"University of Vaasa" and "Ostfold/Fenris" where You may have contact to
people (but with non-acceptable video transfer rates),and the 90 % rest
which is really empty all the time !!!

Remember, CU is mostly used not to chat with friends but to learn new
friends or to chat with strangers (strangers at the beginning of the
chat, maybe friends at the end of the chat), especially because of the
conference mode feature !

Sincerely
Rolf
>=20
> --
> streak@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu * Jason Williams -- Austin, Tx. | |
> streak@mail.utexas.edu * University of Texas at Austin | ___ |
> streak@cs.utexas.edu * BS Computer Science \_|_/
> *************** http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~streak/ **************|

--=20
/ / / Alone on the data highway...
/ / like on an allee in Hannover-Herrenhausen
/ / / Rolf Hemmerling, Germany
/ / http://home.pages.de/~rolf.hemmerling/